The panel discussion was on Thursday May 21, from 5:00 to 6:15pm in 2–20 Fine Arts Building at the University of Alberta. Audience members were invited to ask questions.
Our panelists were Courtney Chetwynd, Jorge Frascara, Richard Isaac and Gavin Renwick.
Panelists have been invited to respond to how we can:
- Offer perspectives on spirituality and design;
- Explore tacit ‘northern’ knowledge versus tacit ‘design’ knowledge;
- Equip designers to meet people’s needs through cross-cultural collaborations;
- Interrogate the idea of sustainable design education;
- Challenge imported education models;
- Transform spaces of communication through design;
- Connect designers’ ways of thinking with cultural ways of knowing;
- Embrace pluralistic and intercultural approaches to design in relation to design studies in the north.
Organizers: Robert Lederer + Gavin Renwick
Opening + Closing Remarks: Aidan Rowe
Moderator: Robert Lederer
Panelists: Courtney Chetwynd, Jorge Frascara, Richard Isaac, Gavin Renwick
Event Assistance: Tim Antoniuk, C Couldwell, Juan Fajardo, Naureen Mumtaz, Jiao Wang, Danny Whittaker
Thank you to students + staff from the Department of Art & Design (including Louise Asselstine, Blair Brennan, Kathleen Berto, Steven Dixon, Cezary Gajewski, Ken Horne, John McGie, Dawn McLean, Marc Siegner, Stan Szynkowski, Caitlin Wells), Fine Arts Gallery Committee, exhibitors and panelists, Faculty of Arts staff (including Salena Kitteringham and TJ Jans)